PitWatch.org is the Web version of PitWatch, a print periodical previously published by the Berkeley Pit Public Education Committee for the purpose of educating Butte residents, students and visitors about the Berkeley Pit and related issues. The Committee welcomes your questions and comments.
PitWatch introduces concepts essential for understanding the science of the Berkeley Pit, including its geology and hydrology (water). History, research, and news related to the Berkeley Pit are also available. Our committee members contribute to the PitWatch blog to share our perspectives on current projects, findings, and conclusions related to the ongoing management of the Berkeley Pit. See below for contact information, or email questions regarding the Pit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back Issues of PitWatch Available
PitWatch has been printed periodically since 1996 with its most recent print edition released in 2015. If you would like more information about the Berkeley Pit, back issues of PITWATCH are available. Content from all back issues and hard copies are available by request. Please send an email to email@example.com.
Regulatory Documents Related to the Berkeley Pit
The Record of Decision (ROD, 1994; Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD) 2002) and Consent Decree (CD, 2002) for the Berkeley Pit and surrounding flooded underground mine works (the Butte Mine-Flooding Operable Unit) are available for review. Review copies are available at:
- Montana Tech Library
1300 W. Park
Butte, MT 59701
Digital copies can be downloaded from the PitWatch website using the links below:
- Record of Decision (ROD) – Butte Mine Flooding Operable Unit (BMFOU) 1994
- EPA Explanation of Significant Differences for the Butte Mine Flooding Operable Unit (2002)
- Butte Mine Flooding Consent Decree (2002)
Digital copies can also be downloaded directly from the EPA using the links below:
- Butte Mine-Flooding Operable Unit Record of Decision (1994) (pdf format, 469 pp, 938k) (https://semspub.epa.gov/work/08/1164465.pdf)
- EPA Explanation of Significant Differences for the Butte Mine Flooding Operable Unit (2002) (https://semspub.epa.gov/work/08/1140014.pdf)
- Butte Mine Flooding Consent Decree (2002) (https://semspub.epa.gov/work/08/1097894.pdf)
Berkeley Pit Public Education Committee
The Berkeley Pit Education Committee is a volunteer board comprised of residents and scientists and subject area experts directly involved with the management of the Berkeley Pit Superfund site Butte-Silver Bow provides staff support to the committee and is funded by Atlantic Richfield and Montana Resources.
- Brian Park
- Joe Griffin
- Dave Isakson (Chair)
- Jim Jonas
- Helen Joyce
- Carol Link
- Tim Hilmo ( Atlantic Richfield)
- Julia Crain (BSB)
- Jon Sesso (BSB)
- John Sorich (BSB)
- Kayla Lappin (CFWEP)
- Rayelynn Brandl (CFWEP)
- Colleen Elliott (CTEC)
- Nikia Greene (EPA)
- Ted Duaime (MBMG)
- Gary Icopini (MBMG)
- Daryl Reed (MTDEQ)
- Mark Thompson (Montana Resources)
With assistance from the Clark Fork Watershed Education Program, www.cfwep.org, and the Montana Bureau of Mines & Geology, www.mbmg.mtech.edu.